Friday, October 7, 2011

Custom Art & Lessons Learned

In my Guest Room Make-Over post I showed you the newest artwork that I made for above the bed and I thought I would share with you how I made it. And more specifically how it's always good to look into things a little bit before attempting them to avoid a project being more involved than you wanted it to be. <--- This is called foreshadowing ;-)


Like I mentioned before, I used this as my inspiration for the project. Well that piece of art combined with the pattern on the sheet set for the bed. I loved the flowers on them and knew I wanted to use them in the room somewhere else.


I used the pillowcase as my visual and drew out one of the flowers as best as I could. I knew I wanted to use two canvases for the space so I re-drew it once more with a division down the center. I love how it isn't symmetrical, something that even J was surprised I would do.


I gathered my 16 x 20in canvases (that have been sitting blank for at least 6 months with no inspiration) and carefully drew a blown up version of the original on each half.


Lesson #1: do not, and I repeat, DO NOT assume that the person who originally wrote the caption for your pin on Pinterest was accurate. When I checked out my pin before starting the project it read "Elmer's glue on canvas. Then paint the whole thing one color". Easy-peasy I thought. So I took out my glue, carefully placed as smooth of lines as I could get and went to bed.


This is what I woke up to. Lesson #2, Elmer's glue is not like puff paint. It dries flat. This is not what I wanted. Thankfully I only did one canvas up to this step so I saved a little bit of wasted time.


Lesson #3, always check on the source of your pin yourself so that you get the results that you want. Turns out that the original was made with white puff paint on canvas, not Elmer's. I was frustrated by this point, only had red puff paint and knew I had a can of white spray paint so I continued on. Retraced all of my lines with the red, waited for them to dry and gave them a good coat of spray paint.


I ended up having to go back to the second canvas (aka the one I didn't originally mess up on) with some glue around the puff paint to make them look the same. See in the above photo how the glue (the shiny parts) sort of seeped out along the red puff paint? Turns out when I spray painted them you could sort of see those parts, granted I liked the look, but I had to then "mess up" the other canvas to get them same.

Eventually my project was finished, with many more steps that I was originally planning on, but lessons learned and custom art made so I say it was a success in the end. Don't you agree?


*Please go back to my original Guest Room Make-Over post and check out what I updated* 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

101 List 30 days 365 Project anniversary Antigua apartment artist award Baby H Baby H-2 backyard beach bedroom Betty Crocker birth story birthday Blog Sale book of lists books breakfast breastfeeding bride and groom bridesmaids broken Broncos busy cake camera cards celebration ceremony changes Christmas cleaning clothes coffee Colorado conversations cooking country covergirl crafts currently dance Day in the life Dear Monday decorating dessert details DIY dress drink driving engagement Essie etsy exercise fall family flowers food FOTD friends fruit frustrated fun GBU gifts goals graduation groomsmen growing up GTKY hair happy hard work Hawaii hiking holidays holidays. home homeowners honeymoon hope hospice husband and wife Ireland job Lake Powell laughs life life and death life with Mark life with Patrick link-up list LOAP Look what I made love make-up Mark Jameson mark says MCAT med school memory men mom months of Mark months of Patrick motivation moving music My Creations nails Nook numbers nursery Ollie OOTD OPI outdoors paint painting party perfection pho phone photos pictures Piggy Polish Pinterest planning politics pregnancy puppy purse rain random recipes relationships relaxation relieved residency ring Ring Warming sad San Diego school sewing shoes shopping shower sick sketchbook slideshow smile spring spring break stress studying summer surprise swap swim T2T Tail Wagging Tuesday talking tan Target tattoo thankful things I heart tired tradition vacation Valentines video Villa Parker visitors VOTMC weather wedding weekend whole30 winter Wordless Wednesday work work out yoga