Friday, May 18, 2012

Tying the Knot: Wedding Dress Shopping pt1

I've been having a bit of a delima when it comes to posting about my wedding dress shopping which is why it's taken me so long to finally write this post. I knew I wanted to document the process but J and I are taking the tradition about my dress very seriously. In no way will J see my dress (or really anything close to it so he has no room for imagination) until our wedding day. There have been very few things that he has had strong opinions about through this whole process but this was definitely one of them. So I appologize off the bat that there will be no picture of my actual dress (until after the big day) or even the ones in the running.

_________________________________________________

Back in March J and I took a trip back to CO to get a handful of wedding related items checked off our list. I mentioned before that one of my favorite parts about our trip was our engagment pictures but the number one reason we planned the trip was to start the process of finding my perfect dress. I decided it would be easier for me to purchase the dress in Colorado, given the number of times that we'll have to be back for other reasons, rather than purchase the dress here in California and have to figure out how to transport it later.

Dress Shopping Day #1: Friday
My mom, J's mom, J's sister/bridesmaid, my MOH and I all met at The Bridal Collection to start our first appointment of the whole process. I had known before we started that they carried some designers I loved already and couldn't wait to see what my consultant as well as my family would choose as well. I had no idea what my mom envisioned me wearing, I knew J's mom loved full skirts (thanks to her Pinterest), and I was sure my two "sisters" would have their own thoughts too.


We met Miranda, my amazing consultant, and gave her a quick intro/breakdown of what I thought I wanted. She took us for a tour around the store showing us the different designers and telling us to pull anything that we wanted to try. She gave us a few minutes to browse and popped in every once in a while to say "what about this?" or "would you consider this one?". Then it was finally time to start trying things on.

I went into the dressing room while my family got seated around one of their rooms of mirrors. I loved that I had full control over everything and got to decide what dress I wanted to try on first. It was a bit surreal to be trying on wedding dresses, I have to admit. The first dress definitely looked different on than it had on the hanger and it made me start to question exactly what it was that I wanted. Like I mentioned with the bridesmaids dresses, I was certain I didn't want satin but Miranda suggested I at least try one on to be sure that it was a no.

This is the only picture of a dress you'll actually get simply because it's so, so, so unlike what I would actually wear that there's no room for imagining what my actual dress is like from this one. And yes, that's my expression of gosh-I-hate-satin-and-geeze-is-it-heavy!

I tried on a few more and by the time I was in the third dress we really started to get on the right track. I loved this dress. It was pretty close to what I had described being my style, it wasn't overdone but definitely felt bridal and I really, really liked it. At this point they pulled out the veils, sashes, faux fur wraps and as they say on "Say Yes to the Dress", jacked me up! I was really loving that dress and so was my family. Granted I didn't get that oh-my-gosh-this-is-it feeling like you hear of but I thought that was fine, I just wasn't that type of bride. I stood there and stood there and stood there, just looking in the mirror and at my family thinking to myself "this might be it".

Because she's amazing like that, Miranda suggested we take it off and try on a few more, just to be sure. We got into the dressing room and there was a dress in there that she had pulled for me. She said to me, "I realize this isn't something you probably would have pulled for yourself but are you willing to give it a shot?" She told me this dress had a very specific body type that it looked good on and she thought I was perfect for it. So I figured, sure! While we're here I might as well.


So this doesn't get too long.... 
stay tuned for PART 2!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

101 List 30 days 365 Project anniversary Antigua apartment artist award Baby H Baby H-2 backyard beach bedroom Betty Crocker birth story birthday Blog Sale book of lists books breakfast breastfeeding bride and groom bridesmaids broken Broncos busy cake camera cards celebration ceremony changes Christmas cleaning clothes coffee Colorado conversations cooking country covergirl crafts currently dance Day in the life Dear Monday decorating dessert details DIY dress drink driving engagement Essie etsy exercise fall family flowers food FOTD friends fruit frustrated fun GBU gifts goals graduation groomsmen growing up GTKY hair happy hard work Hawaii hiking holidays holidays. home homeowners honeymoon hope hospice husband and wife Ireland job Lake Powell laughs life life and death life with Mark life with Patrick link-up list LOAP Look what I made love make-up Mark Jameson mark says MCAT med school memory men mom months of Mark months of Patrick motivation moving music My Creations nails Nook numbers nursery Ollie OOTD OPI outdoors paint painting party perfection pho phone photos pictures Piggy Polish Pinterest planning politics pregnancy puppy purse rain random recipes relationships relaxation relieved residency ring Ring Warming sad San Diego school sewing shoes shopping shower sick sketchbook slideshow smile spring spring break stress studying summer surprise swap swim T2T Tail Wagging Tuesday talking tan Target tattoo thankful things I heart tired tradition vacation Valentines video Villa Parker visitors VOTMC weather wedding weekend whole30 winter Wordless Wednesday work work out yoga