Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Tying the Knot: Missing Family

One of the hardest parts about planning our wedding was thinking about those people who wouldn't be there to share in the day with us. And unfortunately for J and I there were quite a few very important, very special people on this list.

J has lost one set of Grandparents.
All of my Grandparents have passed away.
I also lost my Dad when I was in elementary school.

When starting to plan our wedding I immediately knew these losses would bring a challenge into how we approached certain aspects of the big day. I also knew that I wanted our wedding to be a time to cherish the memories we have with these amazing people so there were many ways they were incorporated into our wedding.

I'm choosing to share these very personal moments in hopes that other brides can use these ideas as inspiration for their own weddings. These are the types of situations no bride ever expects and quite frankly they are tough to manage. With the help from many other people with amazing ideas on how to remember these loved ones our wedding went off wonderfully even in their absence and I am so very thankful. 



I wanted something visual in memory of our loved ones so our In Memory table was displayed throughout the night. Pictures and candles and sweet words were included for each family member as well as a mention in our ceremony programs. J wore a yellow flower on the inside pocket of his jacket for his Grammy and I pinned my Dad's wedding band inside my dress near my heart. 



As a bride one of the toughest aspect for me was my walk down the aisle since that's a moment almost exclusively meant to include fathers. I considered many other options including walking alone or walking with my mom but neither of these ideas really fit. Then our wedding planner came up with a brilliant idea and I knew it was perfect right away.

When it was my turn I stepped out from my hiding spot in the bridal suite and stood at the far end of the aisle waiting for my groom to come and get me. J walked back down the aisle to meet me and we walked together, arm-and-arm to our wedding ceremony. J is my rock, my support and the number one man in my life so it just felt right to have him by my side as I walked down the aisle to be married. Is it traditional? No. Was it perfect for us? Yes, without question.

All photos courtesy of Ignite Images.

Next up: Husband & Wife Photos

Need to catch up?
First we got ready
Then it was time for The Dress
Lovely bridesmaid photos
Our sweet Ollie pup
Handsome groomsmen photos
The Bride & Groom portraits
Our First Touch before the ceremony
The start of our Ceremony (Readings & Ring Warming)
We're finally Husband & Wife
Formal family & wedding party photos

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Jayme, I teared up reading this. I love that your walk down the aisle was perfect for the two of you. Such a sweet story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post. And I LOVE that the two of you walked down the aisle together...what a great memory, and a great way to start your married life together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you walked down the aisle together and I love that you can see the charm with the photo of your dad in that picture!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

101 List 30 days 365 Project anniversary Antigua apartment artist award Baby H Baby H-2 backyard beach bedroom Betty Crocker birth story birthday Blog Sale book of lists books breakfast breastfeeding bride and groom bridesmaids broken Broncos busy cake camera cards celebration ceremony changes Christmas cleaning clothes coffee Colorado conversations cooking country covergirl crafts currently dance Day in the life Dear Monday decorating dessert details DIY dress drink driving engagement Essie etsy exercise fall family flowers food FOTD friends fruit frustrated fun GBU gifts goals graduation groomsmen growing up GTKY hair happy hard work Hawaii hiking holidays holidays. home homeowners honeymoon hope hospice husband and wife Ireland job Lake Powell laughs life life and death life with Mark life with Patrick link-up list LOAP Look what I made love make-up Mark Jameson mark says MCAT med school memory men mom months of Mark months of Patrick motivation moving music My Creations nails Nook numbers nursery Ollie OOTD OPI outdoors paint painting party perfection pho phone photos pictures Piggy Polish Pinterest planning politics pregnancy puppy purse rain random recipes relationships relaxation relieved residency ring Ring Warming sad San Diego school sewing shoes shopping shower sick sketchbook slideshow smile spring spring break stress studying summer surprise swap swim T2T Tail Wagging Tuesday talking tan Target tattoo thankful things I heart tired tradition vacation Valentines video Villa Parker visitors VOTMC weather wedding weekend whole30 winter Wordless Wednesday work work out yoga