Thursday, February 24, 2011

Bow-Tee Money Saver

I started with this. A size 1X long sleeve shirt found on the clearance rack at the good ol' Target. Please tell me you can't pass up something that's $5 either (minus the fact that it's like 4 sizes too big)? And with a little inspiration in the form of this shirt, a few TV recordings on the DVR and some time with my sewing machine....
Here is what I have now!
I simply used a perfectly fitting tee I already had to get the sizing right. (See I told you it was too big for me!) Then I just sewed new seams along the sides and sleeves and ta-da! A custom shirt. I decided to keep the original length of the top because I like shirts that are a little longer anyways.
I used the extra fabric that I cut out to make the bow in the center. It's a little lopsided and I might add some more support stitches to the middle but overall I'm very happy.
Ollie likes it too. Once it was finished we went for our afternoon walk so I could show off my new bow-tee. I cannot believe that I basically saved $35+ making this shirt myself compared to buying the one I used as inspiration! Plus it was an absolutely success for my first attempt at sewing something clothing related. I will definitely be scrounging around those clearance sections more often now knowing I can take something so wrong for me and make it perfect.
This is my second attempt at making something I've never done before. In case you missed the first project you can find it here. I'm definitely opening up many doors to new things lately.

8 comments:

  1. You made that shirt so cute! Good job, Jayme!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute shirt!! Love it! I wish I could sew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great inspiration - and definitely something I'll have to try, next time I have a few bucks and see something cute/cheap/too big at Target! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's too cute! I always see that cheap stuff at target I would have never thought about making it fit! (not that I can sew!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was such an easy project too ladies. It was literally only two new seams.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my word love this. Way too cute! You have a fabulous blog. I am your newest follower!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable!!! Your dog, too. Oh my gosh, I miss my doggie now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shut up! This is so cute. I do NOT sew or attempt anything of this sort.
    And so glad to have you over at my blog :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

101 List 30 days 365 Project anniversary Antigua apartment artist award Baby H Baby H-2 backyard beach bedroom Betty Crocker birth story birthday Blog Sale book of lists books breakfast breastfeeding bride and groom bridesmaids broken Broncos busy cake camera cards celebration ceremony changes Christmas cleaning clothes coffee Colorado conversations cooking country covergirl crafts currently dance Day in the life Dear Monday decorating dessert details DIY dress drink driving engagement Essie etsy exercise fall family flowers food FOTD friends fruit frustrated fun GBU gifts goals graduation groomsmen growing up GTKY hair happy hard work Hawaii hiking holidays holidays. home homeowners honeymoon hope hospice husband and wife Ireland job Lake Powell laughs life life and death life with Mark life with Patrick link-up list LOAP Look what I made love make-up Mark Jameson mark says MCAT med school memory men mom months of Mark months of Patrick motivation moving music My Creations nails Nook numbers nursery Ollie OOTD OPI outdoors paint painting party perfection pho phone photos pictures Piggy Polish Pinterest planning politics pregnancy puppy purse rain random recipes relationships relaxation relieved residency ring Ring Warming sad San Diego school sewing shoes shopping shower sick sketchbook slideshow smile spring spring break stress studying summer surprise swap swim T2T Tail Wagging Tuesday talking tan Target tattoo thankful things I heart tired tradition vacation Valentines video Villa Parker visitors VOTMC weather wedding weekend whole30 winter Wordless Wednesday work work out yoga