Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My New School Bag

This semester is different for me in many different ways. I am not only taking three classes (half as many as I took spring of freshman year) but I'm also in only one science class which is crazy if you know me at all. What this equates to is a lack of ginormous, heavy textbooks that I have to lug back and forth to campus. I have also yet to bring my lap top to class this semester which ultimately means I have a much lighter load than I'm really used to.

With all of that happening, I decided I wasn't really feeling my backpack anymore. While I love that it's plaid and Roxy and J got it for me, I feel quite silly when I bring it to class with one notebook in it. But then I was faced with another dilemma. I have no other bags that are cute/not falling apart/big enough to fit a 3-ring notebook into because frankly, I'm not a big fan of bringing a purse and carrying my stuff.

My decision therefore was to make something that fit all my qualifications. You might remember this post where I found some awesome fabric in the remnant bins at Joanns and well ladies, here is what I came up with.
It was beyond easy to make this bag. I was originally going to wing it and figure out how to piece it together. I'm not picky, didn't want anything complicated and wouldn't care if it came out a little lopsided. Then I came across this awesome tutorial from Kim who many of you might know through her etsy shop Oh Sweet Joy!

Her directions were great and easy to modify to make the bag perfect for what I needed. I changed the dimensions of the starting fabric pieces to be 17 x 19 (in order to fit the supplies that I bring to class) and also added a flat bottom to the bag so it would sit nicely next to me at my desk. To make the bottom flat I followed this tutorial and while I was a little apprehensive about cutting into my newly sown pieces, it turned out great.
I've gotten a few compliments on it while in class and I have to say I'm pretty impressed by myself and my first ever bag construction. And like my usual self, I'm so happy that it was so cheap. I think the whole thing (fabric remnant and 1 yard of material for the handles) cost me less than $8!

Have you tried making something you've never done before?
How did it turn out for you?

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

101 List 30 days 365 Project anniversary Antigua apartment artist award Baby H Baby H-2 backyard beach bedroom Betty Crocker birth story birthday Blog Sale book of lists books breakfast breastfeeding bride and groom bridesmaids broken Broncos busy cake camera cards celebration ceremony changes Christmas cleaning clothes coffee Colorado conversations cooking country covergirl crafts currently dance Day in the life Dear Monday decorating dessert details DIY dress drink driving engagement Essie etsy exercise fall family flowers food FOTD friends fruit frustrated fun GBU gifts goals graduation groomsmen growing up GTKY hair happy hard work Hawaii hiking holidays holidays. home homeowners honeymoon hope hospice husband and wife Ireland job Lake Powell laughs life life and death life with Mark life with Patrick link-up list LOAP Look what I made love make-up Mark Jameson mark says MCAT med school memory men mom months of Mark months of Patrick motivation moving music My Creations nails Nook numbers nursery Ollie OOTD OPI outdoors paint painting party perfection pho phone photos pictures Piggy Polish Pinterest planning politics pregnancy puppy purse rain random recipes relationships relaxation relieved residency ring Ring Warming sad San Diego school sewing shoes shopping shower sick sketchbook slideshow smile spring spring break stress studying summer surprise swap swim T2T Tail Wagging Tuesday talking tan Target tattoo thankful things I heart tired tradition vacation Valentines video Villa Parker visitors VOTMC weather wedding weekend whole30 winter Wordless Wednesday work work out yoga