Wednesday, March 16, 2011

School Spirit Dress

Since I've gained so much confidence when it comes to making clothes lately, thanks to my bow-tee and burst skirt projects, I decided to try something else new. I've seen these dresses (made with college t-shirts) around blog-land many times before and now that San Diego State is in the NCAA tournament I figured it would be a great opportunity to try one for myself. I love all the clothes our bookstore sells but frankly, a lot of the cuter girly stuff is pretty expensive and I get sick of just wearing a plain tee all the time to support my school.

And well.... it was another success!

I purchased (off the clearance rack) a size small "SDSU Dad" shirt. The Dad part was below the rest so I cut it off in the process. I added more jersey knit fabric in black for the bottom and some scraps of an old white t-shirt to make the white bands. I used 1/2 in elastic for above and below the SDSU lettering.

I didn't take pictures along the way to write a complete tutorial but it was really simple. And the nice thing is, I was able to improvise as I went along. It took some trial and error to get the center white band with the elastic sewn to the top and bottom pieces but the nice thing about pins is that they aren't permanent. I'd simply pin it how I thought it was supposed to be, turn everything the right way and see if it looked right. If it didn't, I'd know what to change. If, however, you do have any questions about it I'd be glad to answer them.


Now that the weather is nice here in SD I'm going to definitely wear this tomorrow for game day. SDSU plays UNC (Northern Colorado) and I hope they're able to get their first tournament win! It might be a little chilly in the am but thankfully I have a white cardigan that would look great over this. And paired with my black cons I'll be pretty and in the spirit to cheer on the Aztecs!

5 comments:

  1. HOLY MOLY that dress is so stinkin cute!!! I wish I was as creative as you!! Have fun the game tomorrow you will surely be the best dressed person there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, that is ADORABLE. I'm making myself one. And I picked you guys to make the Sweet Sixteen, so hopefully your game goes well! :) You're on the opposite side of the bracket as my Jayhawks, so I can totally cheer for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Caroline: Thank you so much! I hope I'll be able to wear it for a lot of games still this season and maybe make some for friends too while I'm at it.

    @Laura: I picked both our teams to be in the Elite Eight! I'm happy you're making one too, I'd love to see it. Go SDSU and KU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to try and make one of these, we can buy them around here but they are so pricey!

    I think you've given me the inspiration to give it a try..

    ReplyDelete
  5. So adorable!! Now I want a Memphis Tigers one!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

101 List 30 days 365 Project anniversary Antigua apartment artist award Baby H Baby H-2 backyard beach bedroom Betty Crocker birth story birthday Blog Sale book of lists books breakfast breastfeeding bride and groom bridesmaids broken Broncos busy cake camera cards celebration ceremony changes Christmas cleaning clothes coffee Colorado conversations cooking country covergirl crafts currently dance Day in the life Dear Monday decorating dessert details DIY dress drink driving engagement Essie etsy exercise fall family flowers food FOTD friends fruit frustrated fun GBU gifts goals graduation groomsmen growing up GTKY hair happy hard work Hawaii hiking holidays holidays. home homeowners honeymoon hope hospice husband and wife Ireland job Lake Powell laughs life life and death life with Mark life with Patrick link-up list LOAP Look what I made love make-up Mark Jameson mark says MCAT med school memory men mom months of Mark months of Patrick motivation moving music My Creations nails Nook numbers nursery Ollie OOTD OPI outdoors paint painting party perfection pho phone photos pictures Piggy Polish Pinterest planning politics pregnancy puppy purse rain random recipes relationships relaxation relieved residency ring Ring Warming sad San Diego school sewing shoes shopping shower sick sketchbook slideshow smile spring spring break stress studying summer surprise swap swim T2T Tail Wagging Tuesday talking tan Target tattoo thankful things I heart tired tradition vacation Valentines video Villa Parker visitors VOTMC weather wedding weekend whole30 winter Wordless Wednesday work work out yoga