Monday, June 6, 2011

My Creations- New Sketchbook

My younger sister has always been "the artist" of the family. I've been crafty my whole life but that has rarely included drawing and painting type activities. While I was home her newest activity was water coloring and I thought, "Hey, that's something I might be able to do too."

An extra Altoids tin, some watercolor paints and a little bit of magnetic strip and I had my own set of paints. You know the tiny plastic paint tubs, the ones that come in a row all connected? We cut them apart, attached a magnet to the bottoms and filled them with paint. I use the lid to mix colors and the clean up is simple. (My sister's the genius who came up with the tin, I'm not taking credit for it.) All I needed was a few paintbrushes, a cup of water and a sketchbook to create in.
So I went out and got a mixed media sketch book and have been doodling and painting ever since. I always thought that to be an artist you had to be good at drawing people or animals or scenes.... none of which I could ever accomplish without the use of stick figures and excessive squinting of your eyes to make it appear decent.
However, I've already changed my opinion completely. It's been freeing, soothing and fabulous to create whatever I feel like; whatever inspires me. Whether it's Type A detailed patterns or free-flowing curves I plan on spending a good amount of time this summer filling up my book and possibly adding more colors to my tin.
For now it's back to my current page and my paintbrush amidst my loads of laundry for the afternoon. I can't wait to show you more of what I've been up to lately.
Have a fabulous and creative Monday!

2 comments:

  1. Looking at your latest creation, I would have never guessed you were not good at drawing/painting. I love it! Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How adorable!! I think you are really artistic!! Keep it up girl!

    Oh, and yes, I found Scout's collar. It was in the back corner of the backyard under a bush.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

101 List 30 days 365 Project anniversary Antigua apartment artist award Baby H Baby H-2 backyard beach bedroom Betty Crocker birth story birthday Blog Sale book of lists books breakfast breastfeeding bride and groom bridesmaids broken Broncos busy cake camera cards celebration ceremony changes Christmas cleaning clothes coffee Colorado conversations cooking country covergirl crafts currently dance Day in the life Dear Monday decorating dessert details DIY dress drink driving engagement Essie etsy exercise fall family flowers food FOTD friends fruit frustrated fun GBU gifts goals graduation groomsmen growing up GTKY hair happy hard work Hawaii hiking holidays holidays. home homeowners honeymoon hope hospice husband and wife Ireland job Lake Powell laughs life life and death life with Mark life with Patrick link-up list LOAP Look what I made love make-up Mark Jameson mark says MCAT med school memory men mom months of Mark months of Patrick motivation moving music My Creations nails Nook numbers nursery Ollie OOTD OPI outdoors paint painting party perfection pho phone photos pictures Piggy Polish Pinterest planning politics pregnancy puppy purse rain random recipes relationships relaxation relieved residency ring Ring Warming sad San Diego school sewing shoes shopping shower sick sketchbook slideshow smile spring spring break stress studying summer surprise swap swim T2T Tail Wagging Tuesday talking tan Target tattoo thankful things I heart tired tradition vacation Valentines video Villa Parker visitors VOTMC weather wedding weekend whole30 winter Wordless Wednesday work work out yoga