Tuesday, April 10, 2012

My Sweet, Sweet Boy

This post has been floating around in my head wanting to be written.... 
but my heart has been too sad. 

One week ago yesterday my mom said her (and our families) last goodbyes to our sweet boy Basil. 
It was almost 12 years to the day since we brought him home.... 
sometimes life just works in mysterious ways.
 Being in San Diego has made it hard for me to really realize that he's gone, to realize that he wont be there the next time I come home, loosing his balance on the wood floor in all his excitement. I wont be able to see his grayed face, ask him where his "dolly" is or share my bananas with him. 
 But I'll hold the memories of him close to my heart. I'll remember buying him his first kiddie pool for the summer, his shaved leg after surgery, and his kind way with our cat who never really liked him. I'll remember how hard I tried to convince my parents to let him sleep in my room and how since that first night he never slept anywhere else. 
 I'll remember him running along the fence barking, hiding under the deck when we weren't home and sunbathing until his heart was content. I'll remember his eager face waiting to come inside whenever he heard the garage door open. I'll remember his impeccable timing to always stand by his bowl for dinner at 5 o'clock each night. 
 I'll remember when he ate 3 dozen oatmeal cookies off the counter and didn't eat for 2 days after. I'll remember showing him off as a puppy to all my friends and how he brought my dad and I together all those years ago. I'll remember his keen sense of hearing whenever we were cutting veggies on the cutting board and how polite and gentle he always was.
I'll remember how he never really enjoyed playing fetch and how he'd much rather be sitting or laying by your side the whole day. I'll remember how he truly was a member of our family, not just our pet. I'll remember how he hated suitcases because he loved us so much and I will always remember how much I loved him. 
I know my mom made the right decision for him. I know it can be so easy to be selfish and not want them to go. But I also know that now he is his old self again, that he isn't suffering anymore and that he is the happy, wonderful, sweet, sweet boy that I love so dearly. 

He will always be my boy and I will always be his girl. 
I love you and I miss you Basil. 

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry... we just had to say goodbye to my childhood dog a few weeks ago, and it was just totally heart wrenching. It still feels weird to me that she isn't there whenever I'm at my parents' house. I know how sad you feel, and I hope you start to feel better soon and take comfort in all the wonderful memories you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for your loss. I had one of my beloved childhood dogs for 10 years and we got him when I was 10 years old. You always miss them and think about them but he is in a good place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry about Basil. I can't even imagine how hard it has been. You wrote such a lovely post about him. XO

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

101 List 30 days 365 Project anniversary Antigua apartment artist award Baby H Baby H-2 backyard beach bedroom Betty Crocker birth story birthday Blog Sale book of lists books breakfast breastfeeding bride and groom bridesmaids broken Broncos busy cake camera cards celebration ceremony changes Christmas cleaning clothes coffee Colorado conversations cooking country covergirl crafts currently dance Day in the life Dear Monday decorating dessert details DIY dress drink driving engagement Essie etsy exercise fall family flowers food FOTD friends fruit frustrated fun GBU gifts goals graduation groomsmen growing up GTKY hair happy hard work Hawaii hiking holidays holidays. home homeowners honeymoon hope hospice husband and wife Ireland job Lake Powell laughs life life and death life with Mark life with Patrick link-up list LOAP Look what I made love make-up Mark Jameson mark says MCAT med school memory men mom months of Mark months of Patrick motivation moving music My Creations nails Nook numbers nursery Ollie OOTD OPI outdoors paint painting party perfection pho phone photos pictures Piggy Polish Pinterest planning politics pregnancy puppy purse rain random recipes relationships relaxation relieved residency ring Ring Warming sad San Diego school sewing shoes shopping shower sick sketchbook slideshow smile spring spring break stress studying summer surprise swap swim T2T Tail Wagging Tuesday talking tan Target tattoo thankful things I heart tired tradition vacation Valentines video Villa Parker visitors VOTMC weather wedding weekend whole30 winter Wordless Wednesday work work out yoga