Monday, June 15, 2015

Whole30: Week 2

This week definitely wasn't perfect (you'll see why below) but in all reality that is okay with me and my goals for this program are continuously changing. I mentioned when I started this that I wanted Whole30 to be a "jump start" if you will towards making better choices and getting myself feeling better. Sure some weight loss would be great and I bet my body is much happier without processed/sugary/"bad" foods but I wasn't looking to this as being a "cure all" for the ailments I have because frankly I don't have any.

So yes I cheated this week (spoiler alert) but that's okay with me for a few reasons. The first being that I'm already feeling so much better. I don't have the afternoon crash I used to get around 3pm. I'm not falling into bed every night completely drained. I don't absolutely craaaaave sugar anymore. Second, my cheats happen and I move on from them and continue eating well afterwards. Our approved meals still make it to the table, I'm still making healthy choices 90% of the time and I'm realizing that I was eating a lot of things that I'm not actually missing now. Add all that to an additional 1lb weight loss (total of 5lbs and back to pre-baby weight) and I think Whole30 is doing exactly what I wanted it to.

Now on to the yummies!

Day 8
Breakfast   3 over-easy eggs topped with salsa. Coffee with almond milk.
Lunch   Local bison dogs + spicy mustard. Watermelon and pineapple bowl.
Dinner   Talapia (following this recipe for salmon) + avocado salsa.
Snacks/Dessert   A glass of unsweetened iced tea and the rest of my coconut water with pineapple juice. No actual "snacks" though.
Thoughts   It feels like I'm just sorta in the groove with this whole plan. I've mentioned before but I'm sure it has to do with being home during the day more now but also because we've shopped according to this plan so that's really all there is to eat. I go downstairs to make myself lunch and have a surprisingly easy time putting something together that's tasty.

Day 9
Breakfast   Sweet potato hash topped with 2 over-easy eggs. Coffee with almond milk.
Lunch   Spinach smoothie with almond milk/watermelon/pineapple + small portion of almonds.
Dinner   Lean turkey veggie burgers.
Snacks/Dessert   Unsweetened iced tea.
Thoughts   My sad lunch was thanks to poor planning and some miscommunications between J and I and the protein in the fridge. The "burgers" we tried to make for dinner had a few ingredients that we couldn't have so we thought omitting them would be okay. Turns out we were wrong, the patties wouldn't hold together, so we plopped all the meat in a bread pan and essentially made meatloaf with it. It was pretty bland and hopefully will be our one flop meal for the week.

Day 10
Breakfast   Sweet potato hash topped with 3 over-easy eggs. Coffee with almond milk.
Lunch   Spaghetti squash with homemade pasta sauce.
Dinner   Paleo chili.
Snacks/Dessert   Nothing actually.
Thoughts   I made extra eggs for breakfast because Mark gobbled them the day before. Turns out he didn't want them today though, figures. My pasta sauce was so easy... sautéed some garlic, poured in some crushed tomatoes, italian seasoning and some extra garlic powder/black pepper and simmered for 15 minutes. For the chili we used ground turkey instead and omitted the bacon since our store didn't have anything approved. It was very tasty and a bit spicy and will probably stay on our menu even after this is over.

Day 11
Breakfast   3 over-medium eggs with salsa. Coffee with almond milk.
Lunch   Spaghetti squash with homemade pasta sauce + chocolate coconut chew Larabar.
Dinner   "Open" chicken fajitas (seasoned chicken, white onion and bell peppers on top of romaine lettuce) + guacamole and hot sauce.
Snacks/Dessert   Naked Mighty Mango juice.
Thoughts   I waited way too long to have lunch and definitely didn't feel good because of it. I've also had a serious chocolate craving the last few days so I figured an approved Larabar (while not necessarily "recommended") was better than cheating. I was starving before dinner when we went shopping so I grabbed a Naked juice to sip on so I didn't fall down. Dinner was fantastic and is yet again another reason why this program is so great. I would have had so many more calories with tortillas, cheese and sour cream but didn't actually miss them at all.

Day 12
Breakfast   2 over-medium eggs with salsa. Coffee with almond milk. The second half of my Naked juice from yesterday.
Lunch   Tuna "tacos" with mustard + watermelon/blueberries
Dinner   Paleo Jalapeno Burgers with guacamole on the side
Snacks/Dessert  Half a Naked coconut water with lemon + chocolate chip mug cakes
Thoughts   Breakfasts have been so easy and so satisfying lately. I don't miss any of what I used to have in the mornings and am surprised at how little time it really takes to make something good. Dinner was very "eh", I don't know if it was just a poor attempt at a good burger or the fact that we substituted ground turkey which has less flavor but it wan't very tasty. Good thing for guac! We cheated tonight and I made myself one Moscow Mule (J had a drink too) after the baby went to bed which led to us wanting dessert too. We did pass up all the fair-food and a funnel cake would have been much worse, right? You win some, you lose some.

Day 13
Breakfast   2 eggs whites & 1 whole egg scrambled + blueberries. Coffee with almond milk.
Lunch   Gala apple + Pecan pie Larabar
Dinner   Spinach salad with roasted baby peppers/cucumber/red onion/tomato + lemon scallops + homemade dressing.
Snacks/Dessert   A bit of almond butter before bed because I was hungry.
Thoughts   I was out volunteering during lunch time which meant I snuck bites of my Larabar when I could and gobbled my apple on the drive home. Dinner was fantastic tonight. We've made this salad a number of times before (from Salads for Dinner) and left off the feta and pita crisps and subbed scallops for shrimp for a nice change. The dressing was also from this book and was EVOO, dijon mustard, lemon juice, garlic, salt & pepper.

Day 14
Breakfast   Sweet potato hash topped with 2 over-easy eggs. Coffee with coconut milk.
Lunch   2 Aidells Chicken & Apple sausages + spicy mustard and a gala apple.
Dinner   Pizza + a Corona.
Snacks/Dessert   Nada.
Thoughts   I tried coconut milk out in my coffee for the first time and wasn't a fan at all. I should specify and say that it was the kind from a can. I do enjoy the kind from the carton in the refrigerated section just fine. It was super oily (which is obvious I know) but I kinda wasn't expecting it and the flavor wasn't that great. I ended up throwing it out and making iced coffee in the afternoon with almond milk instead. We ended up with take-n-bake pizza for dinner and I enjoyed a beer with it. We did go on a 45+ minute walk so I'd like to think that makes up for it.

Here's Week 1

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

101 List 30 days 365 Project anniversary Antigua apartment artist award Baby H Baby H-2 backyard beach bedroom Betty Crocker birth story birthday Blog Sale book of lists books breakfast breastfeeding bride and groom bridesmaids broken Broncos busy cake camera cards celebration ceremony changes Christmas cleaning clothes coffee Colorado conversations cooking country covergirl crafts currently dance Day in the life Dear Monday decorating dessert details DIY dress drink driving engagement Essie etsy exercise fall family flowers food FOTD friends fruit frustrated fun GBU gifts goals graduation groomsmen growing up GTKY hair happy hard work Hawaii hiking holidays holidays. home homeowners honeymoon hope hospice husband and wife Ireland job Lake Powell laughs life life and death life with Mark life with Patrick link-up list LOAP Look what I made love make-up Mark Jameson mark says MCAT med school memory men mom months of Mark months of Patrick motivation moving music My Creations nails Nook numbers nursery Ollie OOTD OPI outdoors paint painting party perfection pho phone photos pictures Piggy Polish Pinterest planning politics pregnancy puppy purse rain random recipes relationships relaxation relieved residency ring Ring Warming sad San Diego school sewing shoes shopping shower sick sketchbook slideshow smile spring spring break stress studying summer surprise swap swim T2T Tail Wagging Tuesday talking tan Target tattoo thankful things I heart tired tradition vacation Valentines video Villa Parker visitors VOTMC weather wedding weekend whole30 winter Wordless Wednesday work work out yoga