Thursday, April 3, 2014

Baby H: Spreading the News

Sometimes the best thing about good news is sharing it with others. 

J and I (and this little babe) are so blessed to have the family and friends we do and sharing our news with them has made this journey that much more special. We made the decision between us to keep our big news a mostly secrete for what seemed like eternity and then surprised everyone one way or another. 

The first people I told were my lovely med-school ladies. They found out at 6 weeks, complete with "early birthday cupcakes" for the little one. Out of my comfort zone definitely due to the timeline but inevitable unfortunately. Because of the lovely anatomy lab, Baby H news spread like wild-fire at school thanks to my hideous respirator. But I wanted to make it something special for these ladies since they've been my rock the last six-ish months. They're reactions were priceless, clapping, cheering, and even a few tears. I'm thankful for all 6 of them for sure.

A few of J's friends also knew early along. Mostly because we knew early along about their family-planning efforts/successes. It was somewhat comforting, sharing news with someone else who was in just as vulnerable of a position, and it was nice for J to have someone to talk to about it all.


Everyone else we told a bit later in the game.

My best friend from San Diego got a phone call from a thousand miles away around 8 weeks. We chatted numerous times about life plans over the years, weddings, babies, school, so she knew all along my thought process about starting a family and I knew she would be thrilled with the news. And boy was she! So thankful for her encouragement.

On our recent Mexico trip we tossed around the idea about whether or not to just come out with our news or try and hide it from our friends. I was only 9 weeks at the time and still a bit nervous. I've never been a huge partier and thought I might get away ordering virgin drinks. But once we were there we decided why not and it definitely made the rest of the trip easier. I was able to sit in the shade and go to bed early without being hassled.

Telling our mom's at 10 weeks was by far the most special. We bought two sets of "Grandma" bibs  and told them we had gifts from Mexico. My mom picked us up from the airport and we told her that night and she was and still is so thrilled. J's mom and step-dad found out the next day and were completely shocked. Our dog has been the "grand dog" of the family for years, hence his involvement in present opening (spoiled brat) as well as J's step-dad already referring to his mom as "grandma". Now there's a real grand baby in the mix. Both of our moms' reactions are something I'll forever hold close to my heart and I can't wait to some day show this video to our little one so he/she sees how much love there already is.

J's sister and extended family found out all together shortly after the mom's knew and my sister got a phone call since she's gone for school. We had J's dad and step-mom over for dinner to spread the news to them a week later.

While it was actually nice at times to have a secret, something just J and I knew, that we were so excited for between the two of us, sharing the news, giving our families this gift of sorts was so very special. I wish I had been able to capture everyone's reactions but the few that I did get and the memories we made for the rest will last us a lifetime. Watching the video again and again still makes us tear up.

There's nothing quite like bringing the first grand baby, niece/nephew into a family and sharing in the excitement with everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

101 List 30 days 365 Project anniversary Antigua apartment artist award Baby H Baby H-2 backyard beach bedroom Betty Crocker birth story birthday Blog Sale book of lists books breakfast breastfeeding bride and groom bridesmaids broken Broncos busy cake camera cards celebration ceremony changes Christmas cleaning clothes coffee Colorado conversations cooking country covergirl crafts currently dance Day in the life Dear Monday decorating dessert details DIY dress drink driving engagement Essie etsy exercise fall family flowers food FOTD friends fruit frustrated fun GBU gifts goals graduation groomsmen growing up GTKY hair happy hard work Hawaii hiking holidays holidays. home homeowners honeymoon hope hospice husband and wife Ireland job Lake Powell laughs life life and death life with Mark life with Patrick link-up list LOAP Look what I made love make-up Mark Jameson mark says MCAT med school memory men mom months of Mark months of Patrick motivation moving music My Creations nails Nook numbers nursery Ollie OOTD OPI outdoors paint painting party perfection pho phone photos pictures Piggy Polish Pinterest planning politics pregnancy puppy purse rain random recipes relationships relaxation relieved residency ring Ring Warming sad San Diego school sewing shoes shopping shower sick sketchbook slideshow smile spring spring break stress studying summer surprise swap swim T2T Tail Wagging Tuesday talking tan Target tattoo thankful things I heart tired tradition vacation Valentines video Villa Parker visitors VOTMC weather wedding weekend whole30 winter Wordless Wednesday work work out yoga