Thursday, July 3, 2014

The Cry Room: Little Man's Quilt

I'm sure I'll explain more when I do a complete nursery reveal later but it was quickly decided that little man's nursery was going to stray away from the "I'm an infant" themes and towards something more modern, focused on colors and patterns rather than jungle animals/trains/etc etc etc. Overall this has been a great decision and I am loving the progress we're making on his room but one of the hardest parts about skipping the baby theme has been bedding. I wandered through Babies R Us one day looking at all their bedding sets and there wasn't a single one, not one, I could have pictured myself buying. I had to come up with something else besides the bed-in-a-bag purchase. 

Then I came across this quilt tutorial and was officially hooked, boy colored however. Now that school is out for the summer I have plenty of time on my hands and have been itching to make my first quilt for some time now. And what better quilt to make given its smaller size and it's special recipient. The fabrics are all 100% quilting cotton and I used traditional weight batting in between the layers. The front is made from 3 neutrals and 3 blues and I quilted along the borders of all the navy triangles. The gray/white dot fabric from the front corresponds with the fitted crib sheet (that I also made) and also with the navy/white dot fabric that covers the entire back. The binding fabric is a different blue shade from the rest and all the supplies we're purchased from either Hobby Lobby or JoAnn Fabrics. 

In a matter of about three days of work our little boy now has a quilt for his bed that his momma made just for him and I couldn't be more thrilled with the results.

Are there mistakes in my first quilt? Heck yes! There are wrinkled seams and not a single triangle lines up between rows. Is it perfect? No way! The binding is a bit wonky and I didn't even iron it before taking pictures. But did I make it 100% myself, dreaming of wrapping our little boy in it as he kicked and squirmed to the sound of the sewing machine? Of course.

And I think that's what really matters now isn't it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

101 List 30 days 365 Project anniversary Antigua apartment artist award Baby H Baby H-2 backyard beach bedroom Betty Crocker birth story birthday Blog Sale book of lists books breakfast breastfeeding bride and groom bridesmaids broken Broncos busy cake camera cards celebration ceremony changes Christmas cleaning clothes coffee Colorado conversations cooking country covergirl crafts currently dance Day in the life Dear Monday decorating dessert details DIY dress drink driving engagement Essie etsy exercise fall family flowers food FOTD friends fruit frustrated fun GBU gifts goals graduation groomsmen growing up GTKY hair happy hard work Hawaii hiking holidays holidays. home homeowners honeymoon hope hospice husband and wife Ireland job Lake Powell laughs life life and death life with Mark life with Patrick link-up list LOAP Look what I made love make-up Mark Jameson mark says MCAT med school memory men mom months of Mark months of Patrick motivation moving music My Creations nails Nook numbers nursery Ollie OOTD OPI outdoors paint painting party perfection pho phone photos pictures Piggy Polish Pinterest planning politics pregnancy puppy purse rain random recipes relationships relaxation relieved residency ring Ring Warming sad San Diego school sewing shoes shopping shower sick sketchbook slideshow smile spring spring break stress studying summer surprise swap swim T2T Tail Wagging Tuesday talking tan Target tattoo thankful things I heart tired tradition vacation Valentines video Villa Parker visitors VOTMC weather wedding weekend whole30 winter Wordless Wednesday work work out yoga