Monday, June 21, 2010

on apartment decorating

In less than a month.... we're moving. I have to say that I'm pretty excited about it because I'm really pumped to have a new, clean slate to decorate. There were some decorating attempts in our current apartment but things were more just thrown together with what we had. I really want to try and make this apartment feel more like our own place as opposed to just where our stuff is. My dislike towards renting has really increased lately and I can't wait to be able to paint walls, change flooring, and make major updates but for now we have to make due with minimal, but hopefully significant additions.

I've been looking online for decorating ideas so we don't go into the new place with no concept of what we want. Today I spend the afternoon on Better Homes and Gardens looking at their great apartment improvement pages. Here is what I'm loving right now...

+ This kitchen is most likely close to the size ours will be. (I haven't actually seen it, but I'm going tomorrow.) I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a rug for the floor, it adds texture and definitely makes it feel more like home. While on our vacation, I got a gorgeous print of extra ripe, bright yellow bananas. I knew right away that the print was going in the kitchen! I went to Hob Lob when they had a sale for frames and got a set of awesome, denim-blue colored frames and plan on printing two more pictures from our trip to go along with it. So instead of a creepy man in our kitchen, we'll have a nice collage of prints.

+ I absolutely loooove the idea of this storage. It's hard to tell in the picture but it makes use of that awkward space underneath your kitchen sink. While ours will always have cabinet doors, I still plan on making trips to Ikea or the Container Store to purchase some organizing things for under here. Rolls of toilet paper or paper-towels, extra sponges, extra candles, and possibly even scissors/office supplies and some files we want to keep handy.
+ Since we're both students, we always have a lot of papers, notebooks, text books, note cards, calculators, sticky-notes, etc etc lying around. It's always driven me crazy that we don't really have a place to put them where they're not so... ugly and cluttered. Boxes with lids would be the perfect solution. We could even divvy them up as to whos are who's. While I would love to also add a cute hallway table like this into our personal collection of furniture, I'm not sure that's going to happen but we have plenty of spaces under our current coffee tables for sturdy boxes like these.

+ I've wanted a desk for far too long. I'm sick of sitting doing homework on the dining room table simply because it always ends up one of two ways. 1: I have to clear off all my supplies so we can have dinner. I usually have my computer (with charger), multiple books, pens, highlighters, notes, and stikies spread everywhere. And to be honest, it's a little bit of a hassle to move it all for dinner knowing I'll be back in the same spot in less than an hour. Or 2: I leave all said-supplies where they are, spread where we're supposed to eat, which reduces us to eating on the couch. Yes, there are sometimes when I like it. Ordering pizza so we can watch a movie during dinner, perfect time for the couch. But when we have salads, or pasta or anything that requires a knife and a fork, I much prefer the table. To be short, this table, matching with other furniture and extremely simple would serve as a perfect spot for me.


Have you decorated an apartment you rent(ed)? What worked for you and what didn't? Any tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

101 List 30 days 365 Project anniversary Antigua apartment artist award Baby H Baby H-2 backyard beach bedroom Betty Crocker birth story birthday Blog Sale book of lists books breakfast breastfeeding bride and groom bridesmaids broken Broncos busy cake camera cards celebration ceremony changes Christmas cleaning clothes coffee Colorado conversations cooking country covergirl crafts currently dance Day in the life Dear Monday decorating dessert details DIY dress drink driving engagement Essie etsy exercise fall family flowers food FOTD friends fruit frustrated fun GBU gifts goals graduation groomsmen growing up GTKY hair happy hard work Hawaii hiking holidays holidays. home homeowners honeymoon hope hospice husband and wife Ireland job Lake Powell laughs life life and death life with Mark life with Patrick link-up list LOAP Look what I made love make-up Mark Jameson mark says MCAT med school memory men mom months of Mark months of Patrick motivation moving music My Creations nails Nook numbers nursery Ollie OOTD OPI outdoors paint painting party perfection pho phone photos pictures Piggy Polish Pinterest planning politics pregnancy puppy purse rain random recipes relationships relaxation relieved residency ring Ring Warming sad San Diego school sewing shoes shopping shower sick sketchbook slideshow smile spring spring break stress studying summer surprise swap swim T2T Tail Wagging Tuesday talking tan Target tattoo thankful things I heart tired tradition vacation Valentines video Villa Parker visitors VOTMC weather wedding weekend whole30 winter Wordless Wednesday work work out yoga