Thursday, August 26, 2010

Scared Momma

Being a puppy mommy has been the best thing of my whole summer and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I love my little (not so little anymore) boy so much and want to spoil him to the best of my abilities. But this also means that we are responsible for him in every since way and that adds a lot of worry to both J and I. We worry that he's eating too much/not enough. We worry that he's getting enough exercise. We worry that we're teaching him the things he needs to be a mature, happy, and well behaved addition to our family for many, many years.

And then we got home from our walk last night to find this on his leg.
It's bright red with thinning hair. It's about the size of a blueberry. It's completely solid but doesn't hurt him at all. First thing that pops into my head is that it's a tick; that somehow we missed the early signs and now it's dug its way into his foot but it seems odd for this area. Then I think maybe it's a puss filled cyst; but it's completely solid so that's out. Then I think maybe he got bit by something (which is the scariest option for me given that the people I nanny for just lost their dog to an unknown, potential bug bite); a spider or something else mean but it doesn't hurt him at all, we didn't notice him favoring this foot at all, and we didn't year him cry from the actual incident.

But literally, this scary thing seemed to come out of nowhere and extremely fast. I had just cut his nails the other day and know I would have noticed something that close to his toes. We were a little comforted that it wasn't bothering him but we were still insistent that we get it checked out, and ASAP. So early this morning and we were off to the vet.

Thank goodness, the doctor explained to us that, because of his age, it's most likely a histiocytoma: a benign skin growth that is most usually found in dogs under the age of 2 years old. They appear rapidly, typically don't bother the dog (unless their location is in an inconvenient place like their ears/face), pose no harm, and go away within a few months.

I bet the doctor could see our shoulders ease and hear both of us sigh a big breath of relief when she told us our boy was fine. The only way to definitively diagnose his growth as a histiocytoma (and not something more serious) is to take a biopsy so we paid the money and should know within 3 days. I am so happy that we hopefully have nothing to worry about with our baby. I still feel like I'm keeping a special eye on him and probably will until this thing is gone forever.

He was given a little bandage because of some bleeding when they did his biopsy. It wasn't anything serious, they just wanted to keep pressure on it until we got home. Even though I know I have nothing to worry about, I was still so sad to see his little foot all wrapped up. He tried to lick it a few times but did really good with his wrap and hasn't bothered the spot all day. I'm so proud of him.

But man, can I please have a healthy boy for the rest of his life? I can't imagine how I'd feel if it was a bigger deal than this relatively freaky small growth.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad it is just a growth and nothing more serious. I can completely relate with my cats I always freak out if something is wrong with them.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

101 List 30 days 365 Project anniversary Antigua apartment artist award Baby H Baby H-2 backyard beach bedroom Betty Crocker birth story birthday Blog Sale book of lists books breakfast breastfeeding bride and groom bridesmaids broken Broncos busy cake camera cards celebration ceremony changes Christmas cleaning clothes coffee Colorado conversations cooking country covergirl crafts currently dance Day in the life Dear Monday decorating dessert details DIY dress drink driving engagement Essie etsy exercise fall family flowers food FOTD friends fruit frustrated fun GBU gifts goals graduation groomsmen growing up GTKY hair happy hard work Hawaii hiking holidays holidays. home homeowners honeymoon hope hospice husband and wife Ireland job Lake Powell laughs life life and death life with Mark life with Patrick link-up list LOAP Look what I made love make-up Mark Jameson mark says MCAT med school memory men mom months of Mark months of Patrick motivation moving music My Creations nails Nook numbers nursery Ollie OOTD OPI outdoors paint painting party perfection pho phone photos pictures Piggy Polish Pinterest planning politics pregnancy puppy purse rain random recipes relationships relaxation relieved residency ring Ring Warming sad San Diego school sewing shoes shopping shower sick sketchbook slideshow smile spring spring break stress studying summer surprise swap swim T2T Tail Wagging Tuesday talking tan Target tattoo thankful things I heart tired tradition vacation Valentines video Villa Parker visitors VOTMC weather wedding weekend whole30 winter Wordless Wednesday work work out yoga