Wednesday, March 24, 2010

on my caffein addiction

So I've been trying to cut back on the amount of caffein and more specifically coffee that I have lately because I think it's starting to have negative effects on me. For a long time, back when I didn't drink coffee as often, I always had to eat something with it. It's almost as if it would be too acidic on my stomach and too strong. I'd end up with a stomach ache and feeling really jittery. Neither of those things happen to me anymore which was my first sign that I was becoming too used to it.

Then I started getting headaches from not having coffee. I'd sleep in and know that I didn't need the coffee to wake me up. But I'd always end up with a headache. I knew they weren't just normal headaches either because I'd make myself drink more water thinking "oh maybe I'm just dehydrated" and I even resorted to taking a couple Tylenol (something I normally don't do) but the headaches would not go away. The only thing that would make these headaches go away was to either take a nap or drink coffee. I honestly felt like a crack addict some days. I was getting the headaches because my body was so used to the caffein and wasn't getting it anymore. And that's when I decided to stop drinking it as much.

But here's the biggest problem I have with my new change; I love coffee. For me, drinking coffee in the mornings is always more because I enjoy drinking it than because I needed it to wake myself up. I love making it myself instead of buying it from Starbucks because it's much more custom that way. I love the taste and the warmth and the smell. I love the idea of waking up every morning, sitting at the table, drinking coffee and eating a bowl of cereal. I love it because it's sort of like my little routine, my little daily tradition. And I think all of these reasons contribute to the fact that my body was becoming addicted to it. I wasn't just drinking it when I needed it to get through the morning but rather I was drinking it because I wanted to.

I told myself that I was only going to drink coffee on days I woke up to an alarm. Simple enough I think. On the days that I don't use my alarm it means I'm waking up when my body is ready to be awake and has gotten enough energy for the day. Now, just to clarify, I'm not going to set an alarm at 10:00 am just to say "I used my alarm today." This way the only effect I'll feel from the lack of daily caffein is tiredness and that is much more normal and healthy then my body being addicted.

I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee.
~Flash Rosenberg




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

101 List 30 days 365 Project anniversary Antigua apartment artist award Baby H Baby H-2 backyard beach bedroom Betty Crocker birth story birthday Blog Sale book of lists books breakfast breastfeeding bride and groom bridesmaids broken Broncos busy cake camera cards celebration ceremony changes Christmas cleaning clothes coffee Colorado conversations cooking country covergirl crafts currently dance Day in the life Dear Monday decorating dessert details DIY dress drink driving engagement Essie etsy exercise fall family flowers food FOTD friends fruit frustrated fun GBU gifts goals graduation groomsmen growing up GTKY hair happy hard work Hawaii hiking holidays holidays. home homeowners honeymoon hope hospice husband and wife Ireland job Lake Powell laughs life life and death life with Mark life with Patrick link-up list LOAP Look what I made love make-up Mark Jameson mark says MCAT med school memory men mom months of Mark months of Patrick motivation moving music My Creations nails Nook numbers nursery Ollie OOTD OPI outdoors paint painting party perfection pho phone photos pictures Piggy Polish Pinterest planning politics pregnancy puppy purse rain random recipes relationships relaxation relieved residency ring Ring Warming sad San Diego school sewing shoes shopping shower sick sketchbook slideshow smile spring spring break stress studying summer surprise swap swim T2T Tail Wagging Tuesday talking tan Target tattoo thankful things I heart tired tradition vacation Valentines video Villa Parker visitors VOTMC weather wedding weekend whole30 winter Wordless Wednesday work work out yoga