Tuesday, May 11, 2010

on feeling misunderstood

Being misunderstood is one of those things that I can't stand. Not "can't stand" in the sense that I want to yell and scream and make my opinions known but the "can't stand" that makes me want to curl into a ball and hide for the rest of the day because the feelings I have about myself are far from positive. The thing about being misunderstood to me is that I take myself and my beliefs very seriously, as everyone should, and feel a sense of violation when I'm portrayed as something that I'm not.

I've had to build my self image on my own, not that I don't have supportive family and friends now, but that wasn't always the case. In high school I had struggles with all relationships I was involved in; not just the boyfriend kind but the mother-daughter, the friend-friend... I had it all, which left me often feeling like I had nothing. For years, I tried to please everyone around me by conforming to the things they felt and believed. I like the same clothing, I went to the same services, I had the same group of friends. But I was lost. It wasn't until after graduation that the idea of having my own self, separate from those people around me and completely tailored to my own life, came and smacked me in the face. And I realized that deep within the conforming front I held for so long was a glimpse of the person I was supposed to be.

The guidance I received and the things that I learned were all from within my self and the experiences I had. I know I didn't always do the right thing and wasn't always the best friend/daughter/young woman, but hey, I did the best I could for being so alone. And while I had some serious self-doubt in those days, I pride myself that I've become who I am, on my own, and can be happy with the person I've become. But it literally tears me apart when someone thinks I feel something/do something/am someone that goes against my own definition of who I am.

The beliefs that I have and my opinions on everything in this world are truly 100% my own. Not to say that other people don't form their own self too but I was not able to build on the foundation laid before me. I was not guided into religion or self-respect or life goals from those around me and that's what makes me so defensive when someone misrepresents me. Friend or foe, I will defend myself. When I'm seen as someone I'm not, it goes against the triumph I've had through my struggles to make me who I am. I've gone through a lot, cliche I realize, to come to what I believe, so please don't try to take that away from me or act like I'm someone different.

Because in the end, I admit that I'm strong-willed but I believe I have the right to be. I believe that everyone should be able to voice their opinions, have their concerns and that it's okay for those to be different than others. Differences is what makes us human, differences is what brings people together and without them, who would you really be? You have not lived anyone's life but your own. You don't know what has shaped their personality and what makes their path different. You don't know what needs they have, the things they cherish or the things they take pride in. And while I may differ from you, I will also respect you, in every instance.

So how then, can you say my feelings are wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

101 List 30 days 365 Project anniversary Antigua apartment artist award Baby H Baby H-2 backyard beach bedroom Betty Crocker birth story birthday Blog Sale book of lists books breakfast breastfeeding bride and groom bridesmaids broken Broncos busy cake camera cards celebration ceremony changes Christmas cleaning clothes coffee Colorado conversations cooking country covergirl crafts currently dance Day in the life Dear Monday decorating dessert details DIY dress drink driving engagement Essie etsy exercise fall family flowers food FOTD friends fruit frustrated fun GBU gifts goals graduation groomsmen growing up GTKY hair happy hard work Hawaii hiking holidays holidays. home homeowners honeymoon hope hospice husband and wife Ireland job Lake Powell laughs life life and death life with Mark life with Patrick link-up list LOAP Look what I made love make-up Mark Jameson mark says MCAT med school memory men mom months of Mark months of Patrick motivation moving music My Creations nails Nook numbers nursery Ollie OOTD OPI outdoors paint painting party perfection pho phone photos pictures Piggy Polish Pinterest planning politics pregnancy puppy purse rain random recipes relationships relaxation relieved residency ring Ring Warming sad San Diego school sewing shoes shopping shower sick sketchbook slideshow smile spring spring break stress studying summer surprise swap swim T2T Tail Wagging Tuesday talking tan Target tattoo thankful things I heart tired tradition vacation Valentines video Villa Parker visitors VOTMC weather wedding weekend whole30 winter Wordless Wednesday work work out yoga