Thursday, May 6, 2010

on life and death

I had a stressful/motivating/heart wrenching/overwhelming day volunteering at Hospice today. It was probably the most I've interacted with patients in my time there and there was just something about today, something different. Different enough that I had to change my personal statement to include today's events. I am truly touched.

"This care is not just for families and it was in Hospice where I realized the reality of life and death. I visited with Ms. Suzie one afternoon, a 95 year old patient with end-stage kidney failure. She had a bald head, pale skin and spent most time sleeping. Normally she took her pills with yogurt but her disease required she have more liquid than yogurt so we switched to jell-o. I told her of the change and asked if it was ok. After she said yes, I spooned some jell-o to her blue lips and was shocked. She looked into my eyes and exclaimed, “it’s orange!” with a child-like grin spread across her face. In her last few days, Ms. Suzie truly exemplified that death should not be feared and life should be lived. I reached for her hand and promised myself to treat every patient with the simple joy and kindness she showed me that day."

011/365
012/365

PS- I promise that picture 010 is not of my boob. Well I guess technically it is but that wasn't the point of the picture people. It's the sunburn. It was my first day back in the sun and I got burnt and so I thought I'd document. Think sun...burn ok!? Don't judge me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

101 List 30 days 365 Project anniversary Antigua apartment artist award Baby H Baby H-2 backyard beach bedroom Betty Crocker birth story birthday Blog Sale book of lists books breakfast breastfeeding bride and groom bridesmaids broken Broncos busy cake camera cards celebration ceremony changes Christmas cleaning clothes coffee Colorado conversations cooking country covergirl crafts currently dance Day in the life Dear Monday decorating dessert details DIY dress drink driving engagement Essie etsy exercise fall family flowers food FOTD friends fruit frustrated fun GBU gifts goals graduation groomsmen growing up GTKY hair happy hard work Hawaii hiking holidays holidays. home homeowners honeymoon hope hospice husband and wife Ireland job Lake Powell laughs life life and death life with Mark life with Patrick link-up list LOAP Look what I made love make-up Mark Jameson mark says MCAT med school memory men mom months of Mark months of Patrick motivation moving music My Creations nails Nook numbers nursery Ollie OOTD OPI outdoors paint painting party perfection pho phone photos pictures Piggy Polish Pinterest planning politics pregnancy puppy purse rain random recipes relationships relaxation relieved residency ring Ring Warming sad San Diego school sewing shoes shopping shower sick sketchbook slideshow smile spring spring break stress studying summer surprise swap swim T2T Tail Wagging Tuesday talking tan Target tattoo thankful things I heart tired tradition vacation Valentines video Villa Parker visitors VOTMC weather wedding weekend whole30 winter Wordless Wednesday work work out yoga